Re: New cgi script using metadata

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 02:40:01 GMT
Steve Thomas wrote:
> Others might be interested in what I've been doing with swish-e and
> metadata. Primarily, what I wanted to do was to be able to create files
> of metadata, index them with swish-e, but have the search results point
> users to the actual files described by the metadata, rather than the
> metadata files.

That sounds like a reasonable solution.  I have experimented with
similar things.  Indexing only the metadata has its merits in many
cases.  I do try to keep the metadata with the document where possible
(i.e. HTML).  But, seperating it in some cases has definite
possibilities (nonHTML metadata is one definite plus).

> enhancements to swish-e to make all this a bit...
> 1. an option to have dc.title replace title in the index;
> 2. an option to have dc.identifier replace file name in the index;
> 3. an option to limit indexing to just the HEAD part of an html file
> 4. an option to recognise and index rdf data, in the same ways.

Excellent ideas.  Have you thought about having swish-e call an external
script or program to do some of this?  A custom spider might be able to
do some of those things more efficiently and flexibly (I don't think
anything inherently limits the spider to http).

--
,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project - http://www.opensa.org/