Re: Spider Design Flaw!

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)not-real.corpmail.brightmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 19:08:30 GMT
On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, PropheZine Owner wrote:
> I understand about the server command to tell the browser but I was under
> the impression that this may be server specific.

Yes, but any server that doesn't support such a basic feature is not worth
using.

> So we chose the meta tag
> route for transportability sake.

Your system now relies on a specific feature of a browser.  If someone
views your site with an old browser that doesn't support the META refresh
feature, then they will get 'broken' behaviour.

Now, you might give a similiar argument to the one I gave above that any
browser that doesn't support this feature is not worth using.  But the
fact is, you can't choose what browsers people use to view your site.

In a situation like this, it is best to fix this at the server because it
is the only piece you have control over.

moo