Re: Re: Spider Design Flaw!

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 17:25:55 GMT
PropheZine Owner wrote:
> I understand about the server command to tell the browser but I was under
> the impression that this may be server specific.  So we chose the meta tag

The actual configuration is often different for various server software
packages.  However, all HTTP compliant servers support user-defined HTTP
status codes regardless of the configuration differences.  It's simply a
requirement of being a HTTP server.  Unfortunately, almost no one takes
the time to configure their servers properly (for whatever reasons).

> I was using Apache on a server in California but I just moved the site and
> believe it is Red Hat Linux that is used now.  At least when I telnet in

The server software is Apache, Linux is simply the OS.  Apache will run
on nearly any OS although particularly well on Unix systems such as
Linux.  Most current web servers are based, in some way, on the same
NCSA code as Apache.  Consequently, they all have similar features
although Apache is radically more developed than most.  Apache is used
by nearly 60% of all web sites.

--
,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project - http://www.opensa.org/