RE: http method v. file system method Performance

From: <jim_brannan(at)not-real.hp.com>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 05:46:40 GMT
Hi,

I have completed a performance test indexing 18000 HTML files.
Here's the data. This is FYI.

server: HPUX  K460  4Way,  2GB memory
disk: Nike array, RAID5, 64MB cache

ncsa_httpd web server

swish-e can index  42 docs/minute on this same server via http
swish-e can index 110 docs/minute on this same server via file sys

The 42 docs per min test was done off hours - system was reasonable quiet.
The 110 docs per minutes was done during the business day and saw peaks
of 150 docs per minute.

So, I'm switching to file sys access.  No I have to figure out how to
identify and index the new files and then just merge the indexes.

Jim