Combining two types of index?

From: Gretchen Helms <ghelms(at)not-real.excitecorp.com>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 19:41:20 GMT
I've got a bit of a problem I'm trying to creatively solve.

I've got a collection of different servers that I'm all trying to index, using
the HTTP method.  This works great, until it hits this one server that
is using a pile of .cgi scripts that are tools to do stuff with.  Since Friday
night the indexer has been indexing non-stop, and I just had to shoot the
thing this morning because it was STILL RUNNING, chasing down every
single page associated with the .cgi files...and there are a LOT of them.

Since I can't seem to specify in the HTTP method that I do NOT want
.cgi files followed, here's what I'm now trying to do:
* Index this one specific server as type FILESYSTEM into its own index.
* Index everything else as HTTP
* Combine these two indexes into one, so I can search it.  Or, figure out
a way to search first one index and then the second and return all matches.

Anybody tried this?  I'm not having much luck digging through the docs.

----
Gretchen Helms
Project Manager: Csearch
Excite@Home x2199 (pager: beepghelms@excitecorp.com)