RE: Making Swish search like it indexes

From: David Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 22:56:13 GMT
> Then to make this all work properly, you MUST specify your swish
> file during searches with the -C option.  Otherwise Swish will use
> defaults for WordCharacters, IgnoreFirstChar, and IgnoreLastChar.

Maybe I'm insane...  SWISH will only index any time I specify a config
file.  If I leave out the indexer options, it gives an error that I
must specify which files to index.

> It would be nice if those settings were stored in the index during

That should be simple enough.  It really isn't hard to read/write

Me being the perfectionist :)...  I'm still fairly well convinced that
the whole process needs to be rewritten from start to finish.  The
document parsing & word filtering needs to be handled by a separate,
common library.  Your modification also breaks the current layout of
the individual libraries.  (Which is inevitable, anyway.)  i.e. You
can't use the searcher without code from the indexer.

,David Norris
  World Wide Web -
  Page via mail -
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039