RE: Document properties

From: David Norris <kg9ae(at)not-real.geocities.com>
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 22:05:43 GMT
> this discussion around the capability to port indexes between NT and
> UNIX platforms, if they are created using Document properties feature.
> not platform independent (byte order issues)

Do I understand correctly?  This is a "little endian" versus "big endian"
problem (e.g. SPARC vs Pentium) and not exactly an operating system issue.
If that is the case, it would certainly explain why I can transfer my index
between NT, BSD, and Linux machines without any trouble as they all are
running on Intel hardware.

What UNIX (NUXI?) platform you are using?  (i.e. hardware platform and
operating system)  Could you make an example index using a single test file,
created on the Unix system, available somewhere.  It would be nice to have a
copy of the test file so the index could be recreated on other systems.
I'll see if I can come up with something.  Maybe others on the list can have
a look, also.

If it is a byte-order issue, then it should be possible to fix without much
headache.  Perhaps the index could be created using the host independent
"network byte order" in the same fashion that allows various, incompatible
hosts to talk over networks.  I've not looked at how any of that is created
within the index.  It could be trivial or nightmarish.

,David Norris

World Wide Web - http://www.webaugur.com/dave
Page via mail - 412039@pager.mirabilis.com
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039