Re: questions about searching with swish-e

From: Ron Klatchko <ron(at)not-real.library.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 16:08:33 GMT
At 04:46 AM 8/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a 2 questions about searching with swish-e:
>	1) when we give more than one index file to swish-e, the search result is
made of the succession of each index search result. Why aren't all these
results merged?

Primarily due to performance issues and how scoring works.  To make
searching efficient, indexing and merging do as much work as possible.
Also, since scoring algorithm does normalization, a simple merge of the
results would not be the same as merging the index files and then
performing the search.

Anyway, searching multiple index files should be considered a convenience
(not having to fork multiple processes).  If you want to search multiple
index files, you should merge them first:
  swish-e -M index1 index2 ... newindex

moo
                        ron@library.ucsf.edu