RE: timestamps in the database?

From: David Norris <kg9ae(at)not-real.geocities.com>
Date: Sat Aug 21 1999 - 20:52:06 GMT
> Are there plans to add timestamps to the database?
> UNIX time since epoch would be enough...
> Any hints?

Well, I see one potentially confusing problem with that.  As the index becomes outdated, the
timestamps will become outdated as well.  This may or may not be a problem, of course.

I don't see any trouble with the search script gathering timestamps from the filesystem.  It
really isn't a speed or technical issue as it is fast and simple.  My search results rarely
takes more than 30 - 50 milliseconds to generate results while reading several parameters,
including timestamp and various metadata fields, from the file system.  I consider that a bit
slow however not unreasonable.

This would be useful if the files aren't locally stored, though.  HTTP I/O has tremendous
latency.  If you're willing to have a few incorrect modification dates, then it would be useful.

A problem I see with adding this and that to the index; when does the index file begin to
approach or exceed the total size of the files indexed?  If everything is in the index, then why
even have them in the file system.  Convenience?

,David Norris

Home Computer - http://illusionary.tzo.cc/
Page via mail - 412039@pager.mirabilis.com
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039