RE: Problems with Indexing Meta Tags

From: David Norris <kg9ae(at)not-real.geocities.com>
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 20:35:44 GMT
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> Any ideas?

No ideas at all, many of my documents are full of HTTP-EQUIV stuff.  It
works fine for me.  And, I just tested it to be sure with the above meta
tag.  Normally when I have had SWISH-E stop on a document it was because of
some weird, invisible character being inserted into the file.  I suspect
that you will find some non-ASCII characters lurking about.  Netscape, for
instance, has been known to insert NUL (\0 bug in NSKB) characters into
files for no apparent reason.  It probably wouldn't appear in the file with
most text viewers, either.  This could be a disaster for a text-mode
program.  I assume that SWISH-E isn't binary safe, since the docs seem to
indicate as such.

If you do find non-ASCII characters in the file, then you will probably need
some method of cleaning the files before reading them.  Some folks have
posted file filtering code that runs certain file types through a PERL
script.  Perhaps you could make a filter to strip or convert non-ASCII stuff
in HTML files.  Then again, you could make a filter for anything.  Figure
out exactly why the file crashes SWISH-E and filter it.

,David Norris

Home Computer - http://illusionary.tzo.cc/
Page via mail - 412039@pager.mirabilis.com
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039