Re: Re: DOC-Properties

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars(at)not-real.larsshack.org>
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 13:57:41 GMT
> Swish builds it's indexes in memory so it is not the best at handling
> very large indexing situations.  Since DocProperties are generally text
> strings it's easy to

I'd have to call that an understatement.  I'm working on a 128MB machine,
and swish is having a hard time handling my modest mailing list archive
(a few years worth of messages from a single -- normally low traffic --
list, about 8000 messages total).

I want to move the whole operation to a spare Linux box I've got sitting
around, and with 32MB it will do everything else I want it to do -- web
server, mail server, etc. -- but I'm afraid that swish will kill it.

Is anyone working on making swish-e more memory efficient?  Are there any
alternatives?  Glimpse is okay, but I really like swish-e's support for
document properties.  Is there anything else out there?

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>