Re: Re: Meta Tags

From: <sam1600(at)not-real.iname.com>
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 13:26:41 GMT
Randy,

Yes, typing "./swish-e -c website.conf" to index your
site is correct. But, without going into to much detail,
and there is a few exeptions,(it's explained in the
manual, allthough not to clear I suppose) ALL the words
in your pages will be indexed and there is no way to
STOP "Meta Tags" from being indexed.

This is not a problem though.  Because when you build
your search string (command to send to Swish-e) you
can tell Swish to ignore "Meta Tags" in the search by
adding the -t "Tag" option to the command (which will
limit the tags to search in) and then include ONLY
the tags you want searched.

Randy, what may be getting you is the term "command
prompt".  Yes it's true that you can type this search
string at the command prompt to perform a search with
Swish-e ( just as you did to index your site) BUT your
CGI interface MUST also send a "search string" to swish
just the same as if you typed it in manually.  If it
didn't no search would be performed.

I don't know what interface(CGI)to Swish you are using
but whatever it is it's sending a search string(command)
to Swish.  Take a look at the the source code and change
the command the include the -t option and then make it
ignore the Meta Tags ( which are between your head tags
) by NOT including the H option.  Like this for
example:

swish-e -w "word" -t tBhe -f myIndex

The above will search everthing on the pages except
what's in the Head tags and the Comment tags.

-Sam