Swish-e Results Ranking Algorythm?

From: <cstephenson(at)not-real.ccmail.uwsa.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 17:46:31 GMT
     When swish-e returns a list of search hits, they are ranked.  Try as I
     might, I have been unable to determine a hierarchy or criteria for the
     documents that are returned in the hit list.

     I have been unable to find anything on the swish-e website about this,
     and I have looked at the swish-e code (not being a programmer, this
     was not effective).  If there is a resource that indicates what order
     a list of hits is returned in and why, could someone please direct me
     to it.  If not, does anybody have any ideas?

     Thank you,

     Craig Stephenson
     cstephenson@ccmail.uwsa.edu
     (608) 265-5775
     Platform Group
     Office of Information Services
     University of Wisconsin System Administration