Re: Non-PERL based front-end

From: Mark Gaulin <gaulin(at)not-real.globalspec.com>
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 16:50:51 GMT
Hi
You can write a front end to swish in any language you want to.
In C I would use the system() command. There must be something
like that in VB. If not "system", then maybe CreateProcess, but
system would be much easier. You will need to redirect the output
of the swishe command to a file, like this (in C)
	system("c:\\path_to_swishe\\swishe arg1 arg2 etc > outputfile.txt");
where "arg1 arg2 etc" are the command-line options needed to do a
search and the file outputfile.txt will contain the search results, which
you will have to parse.
The trick will be to change the name of outputfile.txt to something
unique for each invocation of the cgi program (so that two people searching
at the same time do no overwrite the outputfile.txt file).  In C people
often use the process ID.

Maybe someone with VB experience can help you more.