Re: Re: Swish-E New Feature?

From: Yann Stettler <stettler(at)not-real.cohprog.com>
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 19:58:36 GMT
Valerio Gelpi wrote:

> I agree that you could handle this feature from the Perl script itself, but

It doesn't need to be a PERL script : C, C++, ADA or whatever
work perfectly fine for CGI...

> because it is so easy to add to the Swish program itself and it seems like a
> natural feature for a web search program, I think it should be implemented

Not realy : it's much more flexible if you do it outside than
inside of SWISH. Think to the following cases :
- You want to print the result in reverse order
- You want to be able to display the total number of result
- You want to display a list of pages so that it's possible to jump
  directly to one or another...
  (Ie :  Page : 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 -> next  ).

  All this is trivial in the outside program. But doing it inside
  SWISH would simply made it impossible to customize without modifing
  the core program.

> inside Swish. On top of that, performance would probably benefit if the Swish
> program, rather than a Perl script, performs the task, mostly when the
> returned recordset is big.

No. PERL lost performance when starting the script. (for compiling
it at execution). But after, it nearly doesn't make any differance.
And as I said, PERL is not the only CGI language...

What you need is a good front-end to SWISH-E. (better than the current
demo script). It can be included in the distribution. It can be
writen in C if you want. But it doesn't make sense to add those
feature inside of SWISH itself.

Cheers,
Yann Stettler

TheNet - Internet Services AG              CohProg SaRL
stettler@thenet.ch                         stettler@cohprog.com
http://www.thenet.ch/                      http://www.cohprog.com/
                              ---**---
Anime and Manga Services                   http://www.animanga.com/