Re: RE: LWP,HTTP and HTML modules

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley(at)not-real.Bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 19:53:33 GMT
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Ron Klatchko wrote:
> As for avoiding the fork/exec overhead, I'd love to see the perl helper
> script swishspider rewritten in C and pulled into the actual swish
> executable.  The only reason I wrote it in Perl in the first place was to
> reduce the amount of time I spent implementing the first version.  Does
> anyone know of an HTTP library that we could integrate with Swish?  It
> should meet the following requirements:
>
> 1) Have a license agreement that is in line with Swish's license agreement.
> 2) Works with most Unices and Win32.
> 3) Mature enough version that the interface won't be constantly changing.
>
> I'll make this offer.  If someone is willing to do the research and find an
> HTTP library that meets those requirements, I'll do the actual integration
> work to drop the use of swishspider.  Any takers?

How about libwww?

Dan

>From http://www.w3.org/Status.html

	The natural compliment to W3C specifications is running code.
	Implementation and testing is an essential part of specification
	development and
	       releasing the code promotes exchange of ideas in the developer
	community. All W3C software is Open Source; see the license for details.
	Note that
	       this license is GPL compatible, i.e. it is possible to
	redistribute software based on W3C sources under a GPL license.

	Libwww - the W3C Sample Code Library
	 Libwww is a general-purpose Web API written in C for Unix and
	Win32. It is a highly modular extensible API which can be used as the
	code base for writing Web clients, servers, proxies etc. Libwww provides reference code
	for HTTP and other Internet protocols and also for handling a large set
	of  media types including HTML.

>From http://www.w3.org/Library/User/Platform/

	Disclaimer: Libwww has been designed to be both portable and flexible
	based on ANSI C and the POSIX standard. However, there are still
	platforms that do not
	conform to any of these standards. Even though autoconf is often capable
	of getting around such problems it may not always be the case. In this
	situation we are happy
	to accept patches but do not intend to actively maintain such platforms.