Re: Swish -- External Indexing??

From: Ron Klatchko <ron(at)not-real.ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 21:42:42 GMT
At 05:56 PM 1/5/99 -0800, d e l d h a n o a wrote:
>I am new to indexing systems.  And i am curious to know if Swish indexes
>file outside of a website,

SWISH-E v 1.2 and beyond can index both files that are on a locally
accessible file system or files that are accessible on a remote Web site
via the HTTP protocol.

>So say I wanted to develop a search engine that will search thru all of the
>basketweaving sites on the net, will Swish allow for me to do this if a user
>enters a search request from my site?

The current HTTP crawler is designed to index a single web site at a time.
You could do that provided you index each site seperately and then merge
there indices.

moo
                           ron@ckm.ucsf.edu