Re: Extracting descriptions (Was: Switch-e and <META DESCRIPTION=...>

From: Jason Birch <jbirch(at)not-real.psp.pair.com>
Date: Sat Dec 05 1998 - 16:51:59 GMT
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:09:18 -0800 (PST), "Paul J. Lucas"
<pjl@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> spoke:

> 	For HTML files, if it contains a META description, take that
> 	string and be done with it; otherwise, strip out all text
> 	between SCRIPT, STYLE, and TITLE begin/end tags, and then strip
> 	all remaining tags.
> 	Sound reasonable?

I really like this idea, as I was just about to start on that wheel
thing...   What would be really useful for me would be an extension of
this function that pulled all of the meta tags into name/value pairs
with the first 100 chars of text in the DESCRIPTION pair if the
DESCRIPTION tag didn't exist.  This would allow for some intelligent
formatting of the description (listing author, last modified, etc)
with proper use of meta tags...

Just a thought, not sure how wide-ranging the usefulness would be.

Thanks,
Jason Birch