Re: Re: SWISH++ 1.3 released

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 19:39:13 GMT
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Earl Robinson wrote:

> I'm not trying to ignite a fleme war, or get people into a personal
> defense.

	Neither am I and nothing I write is intended that way.  I
	merely state my *opinions*, albeit bluntly.  I'm aware that I
	often come off as arrogant and terse, but that's just the way I
	am in e-mail.  (I'm really quite likable in person. :)

> I mostly need to deal with the web search part. The two things
> that _I_ am looking for are:

	[ snip ]

> 2. A straightforward toolkit for putting that index in a web page and
> returning results in a clean, consistent manner.

> I see swish++ as solving the first requirement, and autoswish for the
> second.

	I figured that anybody who wanted to make their index available
	for *searching* would want to do so using a custom interface
	that blends seamlessly into the rest of their website; hence, me
	providing a default web template would be useless since
	everybody's website is different.

> My problem is that between the three packages [swish-e|swish++|Autoswish]
> I've got all of my requirement, but they don't all work together. I think
> many people would benefit if they did.

	If somebody wants to write an AutoSWISH++, feel free.  It's a
	mere web wrapper that any CS101 student could write.

	- Paul