Re: SOIFs (fwd)

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley(at)not-real.Bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 13:19:14 GMT
Recent versions of Harvest seem to come with support for Swish-e built
in. This is done at the broker level (whereas the per-filetype
summarising is I believe done by the gatherer component).

The broker config file has a parameter that allows you to choose the
indexing engine; it defaults to glimpse but can be set to use swish. I
think(?) a version of swish is bundled but presumably could be replaced,
much as the Glimpse component can (and should!) be replaced by a more
recent version. FWIW I found the swish indexer a little slow when used
with a several-thousand record Harvest gatherer, although perhaps a more recent
version of swish would do better? (cue Paul to pop up and tell us
how SWISH++ is much faster... <ducks> ;-)

See http://harvest.tardis.ed.ac.uk/harvest/  for release 1.5

Hope this helps,

Dan