Re: RE: swish-e spider does not go beyond index.html

From: <jbirch(at)not-real.psp.pair.com>
Date: Sun Oct 18 1998 - 18:31:03 GMT
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:23:49 -0700 (PDT), Roy Tennant
<rtennant@library.berkeley.edu> spoke:

> This
> allows you to point any instance of a frame component to "index.html".

My problem with using this method in order to index framed pages is
that the user does not land on the page that contains the information
that they are looking for.  Typically, they end up at the top level of
a general topic...

A solution to this would be to have a dynamic index page
(cgi/php/whatever) that by default loads the intro into the right
frame, but when called with an argument (index.cgi?pagename) it would
load the requested page into the right frame.  For security and ease
of replacement, this would require keeping all of the sub-pages in a
separate directory, and loading pages using a hard-coded path to that
directory.  As well, the argument would have to have backslashes and
nasty characters stripped from it.  The ReplaceRules could be used to
generate the argument for the dynamic page. I'd imagine something like
the following would work (not sure of whether some escaping needs to
be done here...)

ReplaceRules replace "\frames\" "index.php?"

Come to think of it, this method allows us to overcome the problem of
users being unable to bookmark sub-pages of our framed documents.  If
all of the internal links in the document call the index with an
argument of the required page and a target of "_TOP", then a bookmark
could be used at any location.  For more complicated frame sets, the
dynamic index page could be modified to accept multiple arguments
(e.g. index.php?right=regress.html&bottom=contacts.html)

I don't have time to investigate this method myself, but I would
appreciate any comments on its feasibility.

Thanks,
Jason Birch

--
 jason birch - jbirch@psp.pair.com