Re: Compiling Swish 1.2 under FreeBSD 2.1.7.1.

From: Kenneth Green <kenneth_green(at)not-real.hp.com>
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 01:04:18 GMT
Bert,

The first part of the problem is that the fourth and fifth formal
parameters to 'getdefaults' are defined as 'int *' but the variables
'plimit' and 'flimit' in 'swish.c' are declared as 'long'.

You can change the declaration and definition of getdefaults to
expect 'long *' for parameters four and five:

 void getdefaults _AP ((char *, int *, int *, long *, long *, int))

The function definition is:

 void getdefaults(conffile, hasdir, hasindex, plimit, flimit,hasverbose)
 char *conffile;
 int *hasdir;
 int *hasindex;
 long *plimit;
 long *flimit;
 int hasverbose;

Your must be compiling in ANSI mode and hence the mistmatch is being
detected. One option is to compile in K&R mode instead. The gcc
compiler is quite forgiving about ANSI/K&R conformance and hence you
are only receiving warnings anyway. I guess most people must
ignore them.

Rgds,
Kenneth

Bert Hiddink wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to compile Swish 1.2. in UNIX FreeBSD 2.1.7.1 with a gcc.
> Compiling goes fine up to the swish.c file. Than it says:
>
>     In function 'main
>
>     swish.c:252: warning: passing arg 4 of 'getdefaults'from
>     incompatible pointer type
>
>     swish.c:252: warning: passing arg 5 of 'getdefaults'from
>     incompatible pointer type
>
>     swish.c:363: warning: passing arg 4 of 'getdefaults' from
>     incompatible pointer type
>
>     swish.c:363: warning: passing arg 5 of 'getdefaults' from
>     incompatible pointer type
>
>     swish.c:448: warning: passing arg 4 of 'getdefaults' from
>     incompatible pointer type
>
>     swish.c:448: warning: passing arg 5 of 'getdefaults'from
>     incompatible pointer type
>
> .. and then a lot of other messages:
>
>     "Undefined symbol"-messages (_parseconfline, _vsize, _vgetc,
>     _indexpath)  from the index.c file.
>
> Finally:
>     *** Error code 1
>
> Does any of you have any ideas what is going wrong??
>
> Thanks in advance!
> ****************************
>
> Bert Hiddink
> FUNDACION GALILEO
> Correo electronico: hiddink@sipromicro.com
> Sitio: www.sipromicro.com
> Tel. +506 280 8683
> Telefax. +506 280 8886

Kenneth Green                           +61 3 9210 5541 Tel. & Voicemail
R&D Project Manager                     +61 3 9210 5550 FAX
                                        kenneth_green@hp.com
Advanced Networks Division              PO Box 221, Blackburn Vic 3130
Hewlett-Packard Australia Ltd           AUSTRALIA