Re: swish-e 1.1: conversion html tag -> ascii char

From: Marjolein Katsma <webmaster(at)not-real.javawoman.com>
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 11:31:17 GMT
Stefan,

At 01:41 1998-08-28 -0700, Stefan Witzel wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've just compiled swish-e 1.1 and run some tests. I get some strange
>results when there
>is a &szlig (sharp s) im my document. I look in swish.h and found that
>&szlig is converted to nothing "" (as far as I understand the code). It
>would be better to convert it to "s", I think. (Is it possible to convert
>to a two-character string like "ss" ?).
>
>Another entry: &Igrave is converted to "E".

You're quite right, of course. Quite a few real text characters in the
high-ASCII area are now translated to "nothing at all'. It just may work in
many cases provided the search terms the user types undergo the same
conversion

&Igrave; tranlation to E is simply an error which I've reported in this
list a while ago. there are other errors, too. Look up the online archive
of this list and look for [SWISH-E:358] Errors in entities[] array in swish.h

The tranlation table that is currently used can be found in swish.h .
Without looking at the original code I'm unsiure whether it's possible to
use double-character substitutions but it's worth try. Adapt the table,
recompile and see what happens :-) If double-character subsitutions work
with th ecurrent code, you can also handle Umlaute better.
I'm working on my own variant and one of the things I'm working on is
better handling of these substitutions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marjolein Katsma      webmaster@javawoman.com