Adding Document Properties to 1.1

From: Mark Gaulin <gaulin(at)not-real.designinfo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 22:12:36 GMT
Hi
I'm contemplating adding "document properties" (based on META tags)
to Swish-E 1.1.  The idea is that document properties can be returned in
the output of a search, along with the file name, rank, and size.  I have
used
this feature with Microsoft's cursed Index Server and it is really quite
cool,
especially when you create properties that are intended to be interpreted by
the script that invoked "swish-e".

I'm getting familiar with the source code (the NT port of V1.1) and it looks
like I've got some work cut out for me, since the internal index model
handles meta tags in a way that makes it hard to locate the *value* of
a given meta tag. I am thinking that the way the TITLE tag is handled might
be generalized to handle the meta tags that are explicitly requested to
be "cached".

Q: Has anyone been down a similar path before with this code?

Q: Also, how sacred is the current "index.swish" file format? Obviously
what I
am intending to do would require a file format change, and I am curious as to
how this would be received.

Q: Lastly, does anyone care to see this kind of thing added? If I know I am
the only one who is going to use it, it will be more of a hack job to suit my
specific need, but if anyone else wanted to see the code I might do it
differently.

Thanks
	Mark