Swish-e running out of memory. Why?

From: Rick Beebe <BEEBE(at)not-real.BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU>
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 14:47:05 GMT
We've been using Swish and now Swish-e to index our site for quite a few
years now. Recently it (swish-e) started crashing when trying to build a
whole-site index because it runs out of memory. Our site is continually
growing so that's not particularly amazing.

So, I wrote a script to run swish on each of the subdirectories below the
root. That generates 27 smaller indexes. Now I'm trying to use the -M flag
to merge them together. I can't get more than 4 merged, however, before it
blows up again. The docs say that to find the memory that will be used to
add up the size of all the files and divide by 2. The created indexes total
64 megs. At the time swish crashes it's used 429 megs of memory (the
machine has 512).

Anyone have any clues? I've seen some references in the archives to files
that make Swish crash but nothing about what it is about those files. Has
that been nailed down at all?

I looked at Swish++ but it won't compile on my machine (with DEC c++) and
even if it did it seems to be missing a few things that the author
dismisses but we find important.

    Rick Beebe                                           (203) 785-4566
    Network Engineering Manager                     FAX: (203) 737-4037
    ITS-Med Technology Operations                Richard.Beebe@yale.edu
    Yale University School of Medicine
    P.O. Box 208089, New Haven, CT 06520-8089