Re: [SWISH-E:273] Re: Wierd apostrophe problem!!

From: Jim Winstead <jimw(at)not-real.dev.adventure.com>
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 20:24:31 GMT
On May 02, David Dunson wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, stuart wrote:
> > I am inches away from getting SWISH-E to work but ran into a small but
> > mighty snag. I run SWISH-E on BSD UNIX and the program is called from a
> etc.
>
> If you are typing the names from an HTML form and using the CGI module to
> read it, the program will puke no matter what you do inside your perl
> script.  (I assume that is what you are trying to do...)

I hate to see this go "unchallenged". This is simply wrong. You can
safely pass any manner of special characters in an HTML FORM that is
sent via the POST method (not just GET). If it doesn't work for you,
something is wrong on your end -- it's not a general limitation of form
processing or CGI handling. Doing anything tricky with JavaScript
onSubmit handlers is absolutely unnecessary.

As a number of other people pointed out, you just need to be careful
when passing such values to another program (like swish-e) via the shell
(by wrapping it in double-quotes and/or adding backslashes).

Jim