Re: [SWISH-E:257] SWISH-E - Filenames with spaces

From: Jerry Stratton <jerry(at)>
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 04:51:32 GMT
>When you search the index, it only returns the filename up to the first SPACE.

Swish-e does return the filenames with spaces. Most likely it is the CGI
that talks to swish-e; it is most likely either not converting spaces to
"%20" or is itself doing the chopping.

I know that swish-e works, because the vast majority of files on my site do
have spaces in them, and my home-brewed cgi works fine; you can go to and search for just about anything in the
'text' areas, and will get some filenames with spaces back.

You might take a look at the CGI that you're using, and see if it does any
filename conversions.

Negative Space:     or help(at)
"Once a fact emerges into consciousness it is already an interpretation."
-- Stanislaw Lem