Re: [SWISH-E:193] Excite HTML indesing engine

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 15:47:45 GMT
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 eugene_semetsky@aapl.com.au wrote:

> Can anyone give me info re: the free indexing engine offered by Excite,
> available from their web site? (www.excite.com/navigate)
>
> How does it compare to Swish?

	It's even slower (it does stemming which takes up most of the
	time), has a *terrible* interface (you have to hack at their
	Perl *4* code to customize it), crashes and burnes on certain
	files, and is bloatware at its finest.  Personally, I would
	have expected better.  It will give you summaries, though.

	- Paul J. Lucas
	  NASA Ames Research Center		Caelum Research Corporation
	  Moffett Field, California		San Jose, California
	  <pjl AT ptolemy DOT arc DOT nasa DOT gov>