Re: [SWISH-E:190] Re: Context of hits

From: ____Textpert Alert____ <ianf(at)not-real.random.se>
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 04:08:19 GMT
>> Does SWISH-E have the ability to display the context of found results?
>> If not, are there any plans to include this functionality?

> 	I certainly don't plan on adding it to SWISH++ since it would
> 	balloon the size of the index file enormously.

  There is a 'FreeText' indexer and browsing application out
  there (for Unix and Mac), written by Mark Zimmerman (who used
  to sign himself ^Z), that stores the context, i.e. some pre-
  selected number of characters worth before and after each
  instance of a keyword.

  It generated indexes that were roughly the size of the data
  itself. The Macintosh browser (later implemented as XCMD in
  the "Texas" HyperCard stack) was blindingly fast, however.
  It should be available in all Info-Mac archives and ought to
  contain info of the whereabouts of the Unix indexer (I'm not
  sure if there ever was a browser for Unix, but, presumably,
  once the data are there.....)

__Ian