Re: [SWISH-E:167] Fw: Re: More?

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 22:41:53 GMT
On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Hadean Dragon wrote:

> Well, I'm planning on getting a Sun SPARC 20 with dual 150mhz's, 12 gig hard
> drive and about 256 megs of RAM... That should be more then enough to
> accomplish my goals...

	I'm not so optimiztic, certainly not with the amount of data
	you're groing to be throwing at SWISH-E's which gets slower and
	slower as it runs.

	Try extending SWISH++.  You would need to write an aditional
	function to grab a file from the web to local disk and then
	index it normally.  You'd also have to modify the code to keep
	track of files and make it keep track of URLs instead and to
	avoid circular links.

	The breadth-first strategy of SWISH++ rather than the depth-
	first one of SWISH-E is certainly better suited to web
	indexing.

	The source code for SWISH++ is also much more readable.

	- Paul J. Lucas
	  NASA Ames Research Center		Caelum Research Corporation
	  Moffett Field, California		San Jose, California
	  <pjl AT ptolemy DOT arc DOT nasa DOT gov>